If you’re ever arrested, you may have a judge or the local jail impose bail as a way to guarantee you’ll show up at all future court dates. In the best case, you will be released on your own recognizance. This means the court accepts your written promise to appear. With this type of bail, you don’t have to pay anything.
Types of Monetary Bail Bonds
But what if you’re required to pay bail? If you, a family member or friend don’t have the funds to cover it, you’ll have to turn to a bail bond agent for help arranging release. The type of bail bond you get will depend on your alleged offense. It will typically fall into one of five categories:
- Misdemeanor bond: If you’ve been charged with a misdemeanor, the jail’s bail schedule indicates the cost for your release. You won’t appear before a judge at a bail hearing and can arrange a bail bond immediately.
- Felony bond: Felonies include serious crimes such as armed assault or drug distribution. You’ll need a bail hearing. Expect a much higher bail than you’d get for a misdemeanor.
- Protection from Abuse bond: When you’re charge with violating a protection from abuse order, a judge sets your bail.
- Extradition bond: A judge sets extradition bail at a preliminary arraignment. If you’re wanted for charges in a different state, you’ll be detained and housed until you travel there to surrender to the authorities.
- Immigration bond: A judge sets this amount to guarantee you’ll show up for your immigration status hearing.
How Long Does It Take to be Released on Bail?
Once the bail amount has been set and you’ve contacted a reliable bonding agency such as bail bonds west chester pa, you can expect to be released from jail within 24 hours.…Continue reading